Allegorism is the more destructive of the two methods of Bible interpretation because it places interpretation of a word solely at the whim of the teacher. Thus, “church” doesn’t really mean “church” but can mean “kingdom” “Gentiles” “small flock” “men” or whatever word suits the mood of the interpreter at the time and wherever he wishes to do it.
Spiritualization of scripture is to force some spiritual lesson into doctrinal portions and confuse a practical lesson with doctrine. It is an over emphasis on practical application at the expense of doctrine. For example, in a zeal to find some application of church age history description, some use the seven churches of Revelation 1-3 to claim they are representative of the various periods of the Church age.
In order to do this they ignore the doctrines that are contrary to salvation by grace and spiritualize the passages so that grace and works mix together. Then, the requirements and organization of those churches are twisted to be the same as those during the Church age, the age of Grace. They even go to the Greek to show that the angels over the churches are actually pastors since the Greek word for angel can mean “messenger” and a pastor is a messenger. In this unbridled zeal, they ignore the fact that a “pastor” is not an “aggelos” and a Church age pastor is never confused with an angel in any scripture.
FACT: A Mid-tribulation Rapture of the Church which is the Body of Christ can not be found if we believe and apply what the Bible says, where it says it, and to whom it is said.
First, the Mid-Trib doctrine is appealing to many simply because they don’t believe the KJB–in English–to begin with. Second, many know nothing of Paul’s unique revelation of the Body of Christ and salvation by grace, plus nothing and minus nothing.
There are some general and evidential truths that completely destroy the Mid-Trib Rapture position:
1. The Tribulation period has nothing to do with a testing, trial, or judgment upon the Body of Christ. The Body of Christ stands as an inseparable group, spanning centuries (as we now know, almost 20 centuries after the cross) with no one group or period, from the beginning of the Body until the last member is placed. Romans 8 makes it very clear that we are inseparable from each other or from Christ. The 7 year Tribulation is the final week of the 70 weeks of years as prophesied in Daniel 9 regarding Israel’s failure to honor the land sabbaths under the Law of Moses. The Body of Christ is dead to that Law. (Romans 7:4).
2. The only judgment the Body of Christ faces in the future is the Judgment Seat of Christ.
3. The Tribulation (70th week years of Daniel 9) is an inseparable period of 7 years dealing exclusively with the nation of Israel.
4. The doctrines pronounced during the Tribulation period are contrary to those given to the Body of Christ.
5. The persons during the Tribulation period are not present to the age of the Church which is the Body of Christ.
6. The Body of Christ is expressly exempt from any wrath of God, while the Tribulation period is described as a period when the wrath of God is poured out upon the world. (Romans 5:8 and 1 Thessalonians 5:8–normal trials and troubles common to all are separated from the Tribulation period by the specific phrase “hath delivered us from the wrath to come”)
7. The Tribulation period can have no effect upon the Body of Christ in any way since we are promised “things to come” can not separate us from “the love of God” which is in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8).Some have tried to make the first half of the Tribulation no Tribulation at all and claim that only second half 3 1/2 years is real Tribulation. But this is nonsense due to (1) the 70th week is not separated by a “time” mark (the prophecy in Daniel has God’s time marks of years for major events of : beginning to build, time built, when Messiah comes, when covenant is made, but no such time is marked for a significant work by God of the covenant break, that work is by the antichrist and (2) the week of years stands as a complete unit. The breaking of the covenant has nothing to do with a delay, change or extension of the final seven years. (3) The first 3 1/2 years are “Tribulation” for the saints because during that time the antichrist comes into being in strong power, forging alliances and setting up his worldwide dominion. There will be great pressure upon the saints to succumb to this wicked system throughout the entire seven years.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
The Tribulation period DOES result in people being eternally separated from God:
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16)
15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? (Revelation 6:15-17).
18 By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.
19 For their power is in their mouth, and in their tails: for their tails were like unto serpents, and had heads, and with them they do hurt.
20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:
21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts. (Revelation 9:18-21)
9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: (Revelation 14:9-10)
20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.”(Revelation 19:20)
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. (Revelation 21:8)
It should not be difficult to see that this judgment is based upon what a person does: works. There is no mention of salvation by grace anywhere in the period.
16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.